What to expect at a murder mystery dinner party
While I love date night, it can get a little repetitive over time. It’s easy to fall back on the same ideas over and over – you get stuck in a rut! Unfortunately, this was happening with my SO and I. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw a local winery advertise an Alfred Hitchcock themed murder mystery dinner party. Instantly I knew that we had to go!
Day of, my SO and I met at the winery after we got off work. I had quickly changed into this amazing fall dress that I am obsessed with, and he looked great in a simple button up and black pants. We might have been some of the more dressed up people in the room, but I didn’t mind.
I don’t want to go into too much detail about what happened (got to leave some of the mystery intact) but I do want to give you a brief idea of what to look forward to if you go to one. Keep in mind that this was just my experience and your time could be different.
- Get ready to meet new people. Unless you have a big group going, you’re going to end up at a table with a few others that you don’t know. I’m pretty shy so I was lucky to have my SO there who’s a lot more outgoing. He made sure to handle the small talk and I was able to relax and listen.
- Look forward to a ton of delicious food. Over the course of 3 hours, we had 3 amazing courses. Highlights include a meat and cheese plate, honey and rosemary chicken, and a chocolate torte to wrap everything up. I was so full by the end of it!
- Prepare yourself for the downtime. The event started with one of the actors going around in character and assigning small parts to a person at each table. This took maybe 30 – 45 minutes. Followed by about 15 minutes of acting. Dinner time – this was at least 60 minutes. Another 15 minutes of acting. Dessert! 30 minutes. And then a final 15 minutes for the reveal. Out of the 3 hours we were there, I’d say 2 of them were spent eating or waiting for the show to start again. Not super ideal but if you were with friends I don’t think you’d mind.
- It’s never who you think it’s going to be. At the end of the night, we were able to write down our guesses on a slip of paper. If we figured out who the murderer was, we got a free bottle of wine! Out of the 150+ people that were there, one person guessed correctly. Don’t be fooled by their obvious clues! Always pick the person who seems the most innocent.
- Enjoy the time you get to spend with your partner. Confession, I was on the tail end of a horrible cold during this and by the end of it, I was exhausted. But I was happy. You know why? I got to spend 3 hours, unplugged, at a delicious dinner with my guy. We got to just chat and not worry about cooking dinner or getting things around for the next day. It was by far my favorite part of the night.
What’s your favorite date night activity?
Let me know below! And make sure you subscribe to get updates every time I post!