This past Friday, my SO went to a Halloween event at a local movie theater where he spent the entire night watching horror films. I’m talking 8pm – 8am. He asked me if I wanted to go, but spending my entire Friday night in a movie theater isn’t how I want to start my weekend. But it got me thinking. I do love scary things and it is October. So we came up with a plan to have our own scary movie marathon, where we can stay up late watching films in the comfort of our own home.
[this post may contain affiliate links, see disclosure for details]
I’m not gonna lie, we did spend a bit trying to figure out what films to watch. We do have different tastes so it was a little work finding a happy balance. In total, we came up with 5 films that would be the perfect addition to any movie marathon you might be planning!
– The Descent: I haven’t seen this movie yet, but I’ve always wanted to! I know that it’s about people who get lost while exploring a cave and they’re hunted by something. While I’m usually a big scaredy cat and read the plots of movies first so I know what’s coming, this one I haven’t! I want to be totally surprised and totally scared.
– Halloween 6: Out of all the franchises out there, for some reason my SO and I decided that the Halloween films are going to be the ones where we watching every single one. That’s right, every film. But aren’t there some bad ones? Yes, yes there are (I’m looking at you Halloween 3). But it’s tradition and this is the next one we need to see.
– Scream 4: This film proves that you can come back to a franchise and do it the right way. Not only do they manage to incorporate the old cast with the new cast, but it doesn’t feel dated. The characters from the previous films have moved on with their lives and it focuses on them as older and wiser adults.
– The Thing: This is another film that I haven’t seen yet but am super excited. The premise is basically a group of scientists in Antarctica are being hunted by an alien being that can take the shape of the people around them. So the killer could be anyone! Again, haven’t read the plot so not 100% sure what happens but still really pumped to see it.
– Freddy vs. Jason: Your marathon can’t be full of only intense and scary films! After a couple of hours, you’re going to start to get tired and you need something to revive you. To give you a second wind. That’s where this movie comes in! Sure it might only have 5.8 stars on IMDB, but nothing beats a cheesy scary movie.
I am a big horror fan and while I might have chosen films I haven’t seen for this particular night, I do want to give a special shout-out to some honorable mentions. These are films that I really enjoy but have previously seen. I highly recommend all of them if you’re looking for a good scare!
– The Cabin in the Woods: A group of college friends arrive at a remote cabin for a vacation and find that things are not what they seem. Please, please, please, if you are going to watch this do not read anything about it beforehand. There are serious spoilers out there and the movie is more fun when you don’t know what’s coming.
– Alien: The crew of a commercial spaceship are awakened from cryo-sleep when their ship receives a distress call. As they’re checking it out, they find a nest of eggs inside the ship and havoc ensues. Once you’re finished watching this, you’ll immediately want to watch the sequel! Aptly named Aliens.
– It Follows: A new spin on horror films. One that doesn’t rely on cheap jump scares to freak you out. After sleeping with a new boy she’s dating, teenager Jay finds out that she’s the recipient of a fatal curse. She spends the rest of the movie trying to figure out how to survive. I’ll admit when I first saw this film I didn’t like it that much. But then I re-watched it and now it’s one of my favorites!
– The Ring: Last but certainly not least – the movie that will always have a fond place in my heart. After her niece dies, reporter Rachel Keller tries to figure out the secret behind her death and how to save herself after watching a videotape that supposedly kills you seven days after seeing it. My friends made me watch this on my 13th birthday and I couldn’t relax for the entire next week.
What’s your top scary movie?
Let me know in the comments below!