5 fitness tips to keep you motivated this winter
If you are anything like I am, working out during the cold winter season is the last thing you want to do. But with all the delicious holiday food that seems to constantly be floating around, going to the gym is as important as ever. So to help get you there, follow these 5 fitness tips to keep you motivated and those winter pounds off.
- Get a gym buddy. Nothing gets you in the gym better than going with a friend. They hold you accountable while also giving you the encouragement you need to push yourself. Plus they help make the time fly by. Just make sure you choose somebody that is as serious about this as you are. Being flaked on is never fun.
- Change up your workout routine. You want to be excited by your workout. And while doing the elliptical over and over will help get you the results you want, it’s one quick way to get burned out. Feel free to change things up! Take a group class, use different machines, incorporate strength training. Not only will you work out different muscle groups, but it will keep you interested.
- Set a regular schedule. Going to the gym should become a habit. And the best way to create one is to go at the same time, on the same day, every week. For example, I go right after work because I know that if I go home first, I’m not leaving again. Take a week to try different times and figure out what works best for you.
- Surround yourself with inspiration. We all have those days. Those days where you just want to go home and watch Netflix. But nothing helps gets you going like surrounding yourself with quotes or images to remind yourself why you’re doing this. I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to inspirational quotes. I also follow different Instagram fitness accounts. They both help inspire and reassure.
- Set a goal for yourself. It doesn’t have to be anything crazy – the last thing you want to do is set an unrealistic goal and get down on yourself. But working towards something will help get you to the gym. Whether it’s being able to feel your best at a holiday party or being able to get new clothes during the seasonal sales, it’s nice to see your hard work pay off and treat yo self.
The most important thing to remember though is that while it’s important to stay motivated and healthy this season, please make sure you don’t sacrifice time spent with friends and family. The gym should never be a punishment and you want to be able to enjoy the holiday season.
What’s your favorite fitness activity?